Team Leader and Senior Rural/Community Development Expert
- Project: Civil Society and Local Authorities (CSO-LA) in Development Programme Monitoring in Armenia 2018-2019
- Lot: BENEF 7
- Assignment Duration: 2 years
- Eligible Nationalities: all
- Project Reference: 2017/392748 - Version 1
- Location: Armenia
- Estimated Start Date: 15 January 2018
- Application Deadline: 13 December 2017
Civil Society and Local Authorities (CSO-LA) in Development Programme Monitoring in Armenia 2018-2019
The 2016 CSO-LA allocation for Armenia will result in a handful contracts that will need support in their launch phase (first six months) to be implemented in an effective and sound manner and in identifying and planning synergies between the projects. At the same time, the EU Delegation is looking for monitoring support that will identify shortcomings, challenges and concerns related to management of the CSO-LA portfolio in Armenia.
The global objective of this assignment is to contribute to the effective implementation of the selected projects and monitoring projects against the overall CSO-LA portfolio objectives and effective project management.
*Specific objective(s) *
1) monitor and provide quality information on the pace of projects implementation to the EU Delegation through monitoring the project preparations, planning, technical expertise and implementation of specific activities, including mandatory sub-granting, with an overall attention to their impact on Armenian citizens’ lives taking into account their opinions and views;
2) provide technical assistance to the individual projects on overall and specific implementation issues related to financial and operational efficiency, effectiveness, impact and sound financial management of EU funds. Provide guidance and good practices on i.a. financial transparency in grant management, (purchases and HR documenting, archiving, accounting etc.) as well as support the projects in their initial operational and financial report preparations as well as quality compliance before report submissions; Finally in grant management, identify and advice on synergies between the CSO-LA projects.
3) advise on project-specific and joint communication activities that would make EU support to local governance, expansion of outdoor activities, and investments in rural and tourism development more visible and attractive to Armenian citizens.
The priority of tasks is very likely to reflect the order of presentation 1-3.
All services must be planned and conducted in close collaboration with the EU Delegation. All in-country activities will require prior approval incl. mission dates (6 in-country missions are foreseen), in-country monitoring, support, and training activities.
** 1. Monitor the implementation of the projects, including****:
- Assess the project management structure, baseline data collection, technical capacity, work plans, administrative management and the overall effectiveness;
- Assess the financial management arrangements, financial effectiveness, and the arrangements in place for financial support to third parties, and adherence to EU grant regulations, by the contractor and other project partners if relevant;
- Assess and advice on procurement and transfer of the equipment arrangements;
- Assess the efficiency of the project implementation as to how well work processes are carried out to produce expected results;
- Assess the potential impact of activities on target groups and direct beneficiaries, which would include gathering their opinion and views on the relevance, sustainability and contribution to lasting capacity development;
- Quality assurance and support to project management and implementation:
- Assess and ensure that opportunities of citizens involvement and ownership, gender equality and youth empowerment and the contractor’s collaboration with project partners and stakeholders, are seriously pursued and maximised:
- Conduct mock (=test) reporting exercises for each of the project (some aspects can be joint) after 6 and 9 months of implementation;
- Assess and analyse practical aspects (calls, selection criteria, monitoring and reporting plans) related to financial support to third parties;
- Identify issues of concern, share these with the contractors and suggest solutions to challenges;
- Based on feedback from projects and the EU Delegation, prepare a training plan and implement jointly agreed activities;
3. Communication and visibility:
- Assess and propose improvements to planned/suggested communication and visibility activities to ensure that they are interesting, engaging, empowering and effective communication tools;
- Identify communication and visibility activities that involve the EU delegation and/or could be utilised beyond the project;
- Assess and suggest joint communication activities e.g. documentaries, exhibitions etc.
Expert 1 – Team Leader and Senior Rural/Community Development Expert
- Master’s degree or equivalent academic qualifications in social sciences, economics or any other discipline relevant to the assignment
- At least 12 years of relevant professional experience (as defined below)
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and report writing
Specific Professional Experience
- Experience with the EC CSO-LA instrument and/or community-led local development, citizens empowerment and poverty reduction through civil society grant instruments;
- Sound management experience in programs of rural/regional social and economic development, promotion of tourism, outdoor and cultural activities;
- Some knowledge of the current socio-economic context of the Eastern Neighbourhood and Western Balkan region, especially challenges related to local development and decentralisation as well as impact-oriented community and citizens empowerment;
- Monitoring, training, coaching and capacity building experience is required;
If you meet the requirements and would be interested in applying for this role please email your CV in EC format to firstname.lastname@example.org
WE ARE ONLY ABLE TO RESPOND TO CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE SPECIFICATIONS