Senior Expert on Mediation
- Project: Final evaluation of th IfS/IcSO support under Articles 3 and 4 Mediation in beneficiary countries (2007-2018)
- Lot: SIEA 3
- Assignment Duration: 210 days
- Eligible Nationalities: All
- Project Reference: 2018/399132 - Version 1
- Location: home-based, with field visits to Lebanon (Syria); Central Africa Republic; Nigeria (Niger Delta).
- Estimated Start Date: 3rd September 2018
- Application Deadline: 18th July 2018
Final evaluation of th IfS/IcSO support under Articles 3 and 4 Mediation in beneficiary countries (2007-2018)
The Instrument contributing to Stability and Peace foresees ‘support, through the provision of technical and logistical assistance, for the efforts undertaken by international and regional organisations and by State and civil society actors in promoting confidence-building, mediation, dialogue and reconciliation.’ (Art 3, 2 (a)), and ‘facilitating and building capacity in confidence-building, mediation, dialogue and reconciliation, with particular regard to emerging inter-community tensions’ (Art 4, 1 (b)).
Description of the assignment
This evaluation consists of a sector evaluation. The sector evaluation shall assess IfS/IcSP support to mediation, strictly within the scope of “mediation” as defined in the EU Concept of 2009. This evaluation will not assess the efficiency, effectiveness and impact of individual projects. The main objectives of this evaluation are to provide the relevant services of the European Union, the interested stakeholders and the wider public with:
- an overall independent assessment of the past performance of the IfS/IcSP support to mediation related projects and programmes;
- key lessons and recommendations in order to improve current (if relevant) and future actions
In particular, this evaluation will serve the European Commission, the European External Action Service, and other relevant stakeholders with:
- an independent assessment of the overall IfS/IcSP support to mediation (2007-2018);
- key lessons and recommendations to FPI.2 in order to improve current and future support for mediation related interventions financed under the IcSP;
- recommendations to the European Commission on the best way to approach and improve its support to mediation overall.
The main users of this evaluation will be the European Commission and the European External Action Service.
Category I expert: Expert on Mediation
At least a Master’s Degree in Development, International Relations, Diplomacy, Social sciences, Law or other relevant field related to this assignment; or, in its absence, equivalent professional experience of 5 years (above the general professional experience duration fixed below) in a relevant area.
- At least 12 years professional experience in the management and / or evaluation of projects in the fields of peacebuilding, dialogue and reconciliation.
- At least 8 years of professional experience in evaluation of or management of projects/programmes in the area of international peace processes, mediation, facilitation and dialogue in developing and/or fragile countries;
- Experience monitoring/observing cease-fire/peace accords and agreements;
- At least 5 years of experience of project cycle management (PCM) application, monitoring and evaluation of projects preferably in the field of crisis, post-crisis assistance or development, notably in fragile states and/or countries prone to political instability, man-made disasters, and in particular those funded by IfS/IcSP;
- Experience conducting evaluation / reviews / assessment of large-scale donor funded projects or programmes in a conflict or conflict prone context.
- Excellent communicating skills, in particular, liaising with different stakeholders (including diplomatic corps, Governmental officials, security agencies and civil society) as evidenced by previous assignments;
- Strong capacity to quickly understand complex and changing circumstances as evidenced by previous assignments.
The following knowledge and experience will be an asset:
- Previous experience in evaluation of mediation support projects and/or other IfS or IcSP funded programmes or interventions;
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken), proved by at least a level CT2 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or equivalent system.
** Good command of French and Spanish (one or the other for each expert).
If you meet the requirements and would be interested in this role please apply via the following link to the DAI website, including your CV in EC format
WE ARE ONLY ABLE TO RESPOND TO CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE SPECIFICATIONS